Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Simplest Things....

Yesterday, in an attempt to have some fun practicing math facts...I have an aversion to worksheets...I reinvented the fishing for facts game since we are studying Oceans and Islands and such as this year's theme.  I wrote numbers on the back of cut out fish, put a paper clip in front and had yardstick fishing poles with a magnet hanging from the fishing line...Mrs. Bayles did a fine job making these.  We had 2 poles, so 2 people fished at a time and then they took their two fish numbers to the table and wrote the problem inside a fish, of course, and solved using Touch Math dots.  They LOVED it!  They were hugging and thanking and saying, "I love this game!"  Game?  What game?  We're doing math here!   Teehee.  It was so much fun we played it again today and everyone still loved it!  Here are some photos to make it more real to you...enjoy!









       Serious fisherpersons!

Sometimes learning and fun can be so confusing!  Gotta love it when that happens...

7 comments:

  1. I'm stealing this idea for multiplication. Where did you get your fish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE fishing! Not actual fishing, but this kind of fishing! Maybe I can make up some sort of fishing game for my tests??? Who said fishing needed to stop during college? Not I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Fish for fashion facts...it could work! Want me to make you a pretty pink fishing pole with sparkles????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn, I got them at a teacher store this summer, but I'm sure you can get them online or even at the Dollar Tree right now...getting ready for summer and all. It will work great with multiplication, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. worksheets aren't so bad if they are in the shape of ghosts and pumpkins. Or other things. At least, somehow, my kids thought they were having fun when things weren't rectangular. But fishing - I like it best on the 4th of July when the kids are fishing off our back deck with sticks and strings, and older kids are under the deck, tying on little toys and treats. And I teach everybody to throw out their lines singing, "Oh, little fishy fishy - come here feesh, feesh, feesh - ", a song entirely without tune.

    Tonight I will fish for sleep. Tomorrow, for sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, thanks. Now, I have that feesh song in my brain! Hope you slept well and woke with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did. I slept deeply and long and woke up feeling better than I had in days. All traces of little sadnesses gone.

    ReplyDelete