Thursday, May 5, 2011

Making A Mother's Day

This is one of those little things that I will miss.  Each year, for the last several years, I have taught the kids how to draw portraits of their moms.  We do a couple of practice drawings...step by step by step by - NO WAIT that isn't right - by step by step.  It is fun seeing them use the skills they learn to draw faces from now on.  Here are a few of the finished and framed portraits.






Don't you think these will make some mother's days????

6 comments:

  1. I know it would have made mine. So many small, essential lessons wrapped up in this one gesture - observation, shape, noticing the people in your life, actually looking at them deeply - and all the art considerations of color and line. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was a challenge for them to go and really see their mommas. What color eyes? What style of hair? Earrings?
    Sometimes it is even more interesting when I know the mother and what she looks like. I had to really keep an eye on one little one who insisted that her mother had black hair! Not even....

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so I cried when I opened mine. Best Mother's Day gift ever. Really. Lydia dressed me in my favorite color! She told me all about adding the different colors to my hair to make sure I had a little bit of red in it. It's SO beautiful AND matches the colors in my kitchen. Lydia asked me today if I was going to keep it forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your portrait will have a place of honor in your home and of course you told her you would be keeping it forever and ever, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course! Forever and forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) You are such a good momma!

    ReplyDelete