There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Week One

Are we looking like old school teachers yet? This was our last
first day!

Hello, friends.

It is with completely mixed feelings that I begin this journey. I am unsure of it's final outcome...praying. I know that I am ready to retire and am praying that God knows that, too. There is much that I still want to do. I will always be a teacher in some way...teaching art? teaching college? teaching privately? teaching myself new tricks? BUT...I have loved doing what I do for so long that doing something else will take some getting used to. I love the kids and the families that have touched me. I love seeing them grow up and make lives for themselves. BUT...it is time.

Knowing that puts everything in a different light this year. A sort of bittersweet joyfulness. My best friend and teaching partner for many years is retiring with me. It is a time of "lasts".

We have had our last first day meetings (won't be missing that too much), our last home visits (had to have a mom talk us into her driveway, "Yeah, I see your car, turn right there into the field"), our last getting the room ready for the start of school(mine is a happy place). Monday will be my last first day with the kids.

I hope you will join me on the journey and chime in often.

Donna


3 comments:

  1. Oh, and I can do more creating and crafting...if I can get the cat to cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, teachers, maybe you two will finally find time to visit me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monika, that is exactly what I thought! Can't wait to see YOUR Slovenia!

    ReplyDelete